Know When to Hold 'em....Know when to Fold 'em

Just because you have done something all of your life does not mean you need to keep doing it until you die.  I read that pearl of wisdom somewhere in a book a long time ago. It was a ticket I suspected I would need in my pocket to push me forward in life’s journey. 

We seem to need the ticket more and more as we get older. Used to go to Toys R Us – kid hands us a ticket as one can’t buy a blue sports car there.  Used to be a runner - was forced to use the ticket as my knees refused to participate anymore. Used to teach children how to worship God with song and dance until… well, more on that in a bit.

Dr. Scott Peck wrote a great book years ago called a World Waiting to be Born. It was about civility.  I didn't understand the concept at first as I have always been one to champion the individual over the group.  Perhaps it’s because I was bullied as a kid – don’t know. Doesn't matter.

Peck’s thoughts eventually made an impact on me.  Ok, what am I talking about?  What is this civility? *Basically it’s about not considering yourself to be the center of the universe and knowing when to hold'em and when to fold 'em. And it’s a two sided coin.

Heads: How and why to let others go when they are no longer effective in their job and are bringing the entire organization down.

Tails: How to recognize the same blindness in yourself when you are that goober.

It’s always easier to see the flaws in other so let’s start with that one first. Sigh…  We don’t want to hurt an individual’s feelings.  We are afraid they won’t find another position. We suck it up, do their job for them, make excuses for them, pity them with true empathy, while on the same hand find ourselves being eaten up with a gnarly feeling. Day by day the overall quality of the whole suffers but we say it’s for the greater good of the individual and that’s all that matters. Yes Dr. Peck – you nailed it. We are being good people when we do this, right? Nope.  Cut bait and allow them the opportunity to step out on faith and let God decide what is best for them - not you. Perhaps God is calling them to a greater stage of faith.  Perhaps He is calling them to a position where they can learn and grow in an entirely new direction. Perhaps He’s calling them to stop doing what they have been doing all their life as they are ticking people off and bringing down the ship.  Scott's words not mine….  [para] 

The other side of the coin: When you look up and see it is you who is getting in the way.  

A friend who knew what civility was all about nailed me one day in her office a few years ago. The words were hard to hear – but they were true.   For too long I had been pitied, helped out, had excuses made for me and left them with gnarly feelings. Truth was, I had become too overtaxed by life, working three jobs at times and taking care of dying parents and a hurt child.  Too much as everyone was getting 10% of nothing. I needed to cut bait on the least paying job in order to do a better one on the job that was paying the bills. All legitimate hardships mind you – none contrived. But the fact remained. A painful choice was made and I let of the small job go even though it was the life blood of my soul.  Done. Life went on. I was replaced by a younger version of me - which was good for them but hard to watch for a month or two as I had become the center of the entire universe again. But then one day I found peace as I saw the same joy on the faces of the kids that they once had with me. I saw the torch was passed along and knew the dream would live on. Civility felt good that day as I joined the rest of the asteroids. I could also go back to my real job and kick booty – which I did.

Months ago however I was reading a Tony Robbins book and he was talking about how to reawaken joy back in your life.  A true middle age challenge.  He said to look back at some event in your life when you felt great joy - when your soul lifted you off your feet and you danced with the angels. "Go find it again!" So I did…I closed my eyes and went back in time to when I was singing.  I was singing a Broadway musical barefoot in the church dancing around with a bunch of wild kids who were singing and dancing too.  Don’t worry – it was legit - a rehearsal.  God was there and got a big kick out of it I am sure. It was a time when I had a purpose – when I changed lives.  When I was giving more than I was taking – and so were the kids. Joy.  Pure joy.    Then I opened my eyes back to Tony – joy quietly faded as that was the job I had walked away from those three short years ago.

Standing at the crossroad in an empty station with a limited number of tickets left can be scary at middle age. We don’t want to go back to the rigors of the past but we certainly want Joy.

So where do we go my friends? Where do we go when we have to once again pull out that ticket and there is no train at the station? Well, we go on in faith it’s there down the tracks a bit.  Dr. Peck doesn't need to tell me that. Joy does not dwell in a memory.  It does not have to come to us in the same way it did before.  It may have an entirely different face or address.  It’s Ok to stand out in the cold with only faith as an overcoat.  It’s called courage.  Courage doesn't mean going on without fear.  Just the opposite.  It means going on in spite of being scared to death there will never be another train showing up at your station. But don’t give up.  Look down the tracks and search out the light that is on the way.  Squint if you must – it’s there.


*A World Waiting to Be Born

“The person with a secular mentality feels himself to be the center of the universe. Yet he is likely to suffer from a sense of meaninglessness and insignificance because he knows he’s but one human among five billion others - all feeling themselves to be the center of things - scratching out an existence on the surface of a medium-sized planet circling a small star among countless stars in a galaxy lost among countless galaxies. The person with the sacred mentality, on the other hand, does not feel herself to be the center of the universe. She considers the Center to be elsewhere and other. Yet she is unlikely to feel lost or insignificant precisely because she draws her significance and meaning from her relationship, her connection, with that center, that Other.”

― M. Scott Peck, A World Waiting to Be Born: Civility Rediscovered







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Give it a GO - Tidbits for a New Year of Authentic Living

2015 - Happy New New Year

Of all the Things I've Lost - I Miss my Mind the Most.