GROWING ELDER





What does the term ‘getting older’ mean to you?  Some fear it while others embrace it. Why is that? We live in a culture that worships the youth and we have been led to believe we should retire at age 65 and go play golf or garden – whatever it is, just take a back seat to the younger generation. If you think that is really true, somebody has sold you a bill of goods.

Did you know that more than half of what researchers called “the world’s greatest work” was achieved by leaders, thinkers, creative people, businesspeople, and others who were age sixty or older? A third of the accomplishments of the 400 most famous people came when they were between 60 and 70 years old. A quarter came when they were 70 to 80.

Some brief examples:  At 100, Grandma Moses was painting, at 94, Bertrand Russell was active in international peace drives, at 91, Eamon de Valera served as president of Ireland, at 90, Pablo Picasso was producing drawings and engravings at 89, Arthur Rubinstein gave one of his greatest recitals in New York's Carnegie Hall, at 88, Pablo Casals was giving cello concerts.  The list goes on and on.
I pity companies who focus their efforts only on the youth in their organization. They view the aging as ‘The Olders’ instead of as “the Elders.” They are losing out on; wisdom, experience, guidance, stability.  The first storm passes through and we, the elders, are the ones cleaning up after the glitzy promises prove to be too hard and others head out.

I choose to be an elder and not just a woman who grows old.  I will wear purple and go barefoot and post my nutritional rants on FB in the hope of helping. 

Bottom line; If we are graced to live a long life, we will be faced with dealing with an aging body and mind. That is inevitable. How we age however may be more in our control than we have been lead to believe.

Why? The Danish twins study tells us only 30% of our genetics will determine how we age.  Cancer - 5%-15% is genetics. Researchers have not found a specific gene that causes the late-onset form of Alzheimer’s – early Alzheimer’s genetic risk accounts for less than 5 percent of cases.  So what is the cause of bad aging?  Environmental and lifestyle choices.  Think about it. We have THAT MUCH control over living well into our 90’s with a clear and active mind, knees that work and some giddy-up in our git-along. 

 I’ve had many before me shining s flashlight for me to find my way in the storms of life.  My elders saved me, showed me the way and taught me how to be brave and make healthy choices.  I don’t like healthy choices as I am a dang foodies at heart. But I like to walk without pain more that I like cheesecake. I like waking up refreshed and ready to write or teach more than I like that second glad of wine. 

It is my goal now to be that flashlight for others now.  I feel that responsibility no matter who is in the grandstands watching. That is not to say I won’t have a cheat day every now and then…. ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Give it a GO - Tidbits for a New Year of Authentic Living

2015 - Happy New New Year

Of all the Things I've Lost - I Miss my Mind the Most.