RIP Bart Starr 
May 26, 2019

We all know of Bart Starr’s prowess on the field both as a quarterback and coach of the Green Bay Packers.  But he was also earned legend status off the field.

It was the fall of 1983.  Starr was entrenched in practice with the Packers when he received a phone call that a special fan was near death. Starr paused practice and took a personal time out to make a stranger's last days happier. That fan was my father. 

It was a quiet day in our hospice house when the phone rang. A secretary informed me that Bart Starr wished to speak to Pastor Bartz. Pause. Did she really say, Bart Starr? Thee Bart Starr of Green Bay Packer fame?

“Yes,” she replied with a smile in her voice.

I told her to give me a minute as I pondered the consequences of waking him. You see, dad was dying of Leukemia at the ripe old age of 58 and had stopped seeing people or taking phone calls the week before. He was simply too fatigued and depressed.

Daddy was so sick, sleeping so deeply but, I mean, it was Bart Starr on the phone. I shook my head in disbelief. As I weighed the options and opted to see if there was any strength left in him for a one-on-one with his idol, memories crept in to help me decide.

Daddy was well known in the area but he was not a celebrity by any means.  My father was a pastor with a big church deep in Chicago Bears territory. Even with family members as Bear fans, he never wavered in his loyalty for the Green Bay Packers. Admittingly, at times it got to be a bit much as we had Packer paraphernalia all over the house; cups, glasses, lamp shades, wobbly heads, stickers -  even an autograph from Bart Starr hung on the wall along with the posters of the Green Bay champions in Superbowl’s I and II. He reminded Bear fans of these accomplishments daily – which didn’t help in their lack of fondness for his team.

Daddy almost never made a game in Green Bay however as he preached on Sunday, and it was hard for him to catch the bus to Soldiers Field when the two rivals squared off in Chicago. You see, the sermon always came at the end of the service and the church let out ten minutes after the bus left for downtown. Achingly he would go home to watch the game on TV when it wasn’t blacked out.
Of course, there was that one Sunday…

Before church began, I noticed the sermon was listed much earlier in the service. When questioned, daddy stated he was merely trying something new with the liturgy. Off he walked with an odd grin and I took my place in the back pew. I knew something was fishy as he looked a bit bulky under his robes. I was sure something was amiss when he finished the sermon and instead of sitting down, he made a beeline for the church’s back exit leaving the associate to finish the service. Suspicious, I ducked out to see what was going on. There he was, booking across the parking lot straight towards the Chicago Bear fan charter bus idling at the corner.  As he shed his robes en route to the open bus door I could see he was fully decked out in his Green Bay garb.  That explained the bulk. Made it! Doors slammed shut and off they sped to make kickoff. I’m sure some angels cheered him on even though my mother was aghast. She stayed in the back row just shaking her head.

The memories’ chuckle brought me back to the present where I realized I simply had to take the chance and wake dad. I mean, it was Bart Starr…

“Phone call for you.”  He waved me off and turned his head to the wall. At least I tried.
“I’m sorry,” I said into the phone. “Could you please thank Mr Starr for the call, but my dad is unable…” Dad’s eyes popped open.

“Bart Starr?” Dad whispered.  I nodded yes. He motioned for me to hand him the phone – NOW.
“Hold on, he just woke up!”  I could hear the transfer line go through giving me a few seconds to get dad situated. Much to my surprise, he didn’t need any help. With the strength of his almost former self daddy put on his glasses, drew himself up in his bed, and snatched the phone from my hands as I propped pillows under his head.

“Well Hello, Mr. Starr!!” Boomed the preachers' strong voice making me wonder if Mr. Starr thought we were exaggerating the direness of his health.

They spoke for 15 minutes as if they were old friends catching up on good times, talking about past games and victories over the Bears mostly. Finally, I could see daddy’s energy draining as he graciously thanked him and put down the phone. 

I’m sure there were a thousand and one things the Bart Starr could have been doing that sunny day in September instead of calling a nobody. That selfless gesture, however, made a dying man 8 years old again with wide-eyed awe that his hero thought he was important enough for a personal phone call. A deep smile of appreciation remained on daddy’s face for days and I moved a GB wobbly head on his nightstand that night, right next to the bible.

Today Bart Starr joined his sainted fans in heaven. Lombardi was waiting for him I am sure, with daddy standing close by waiting his turn to welcome him to his final stadium. Starr’s sporting feats will be on all the network news stations remembering him as a great athlete - the only quarterback in NFL history to lead a team to three consecutive league championships and to two victories in the first two Super Bowls. But I’ll always remember him a little differently. Thomas Carlyle once said: “A great man shows his greatness by the way he treats little men.” Indeed. Bart Starr was a great man of kindness.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Give it a GO - Tidbits for a New Year of Authentic Living

2015 - Happy New New Year

Of all the Things I've Lost - I Miss my Mind the Most.